Need help with installation? Download our easy installation guide and follow our step by step instructions.
ALWAYS REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST!
WARNINGS & CAUTIONS:
• TO BE INSTALLED BY A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN AND/OR USED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ELECTRICAL CODES AND REGULATIONS.
• INSTALLATION OF ANEMPShield IN A BRANCH CIRCUIT MUST BE DONE BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN.
• READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE INSTALLING.
•EMPShield DEVICES MUST BE INSTALLED ON A LINE THAT IS SERVED BY DISCONNECT MEANS, SUCH AS 20-AMP CIRCUIT BREAKERS OR 20-
• EMPShield MAY NOT SURVIVE SUSTAINED OVERVOLTAGES.
• USE THIS DEVICE ONLY WITH COPPER OR COPPER CLAD WIRE.
• UL 1449 – Type 2 SURGE SUPPRESSION – Compliant
• IEEE C62.41-1991 category A&B combination wave suppression • Solid-state semiconductor circuitry for each phase
• Each phase independently fused
• Green LED diagnostic indicator for each phase
• NEMA 4 plastic enclosure • 1 conduit entrance port
EMPShield(120/240V, single -phase version), (120/208V, 3-phase version) or (277/480V, 3-phase version) Branch Panel Mounted devices have been designed to protect residential, small commercial, and industrial establishments from high voltage transients. The standard J-Box plastic enclosure with integrated conduit port simplifies mounting in typical frame construction environments, and provides convenient connection means to
System Voltage Requirements
1.Measure panel voltage, L-N, to determine the system voltage. System voltage must not exceed the specified maximum continuous RMS voltage on the EMPShield device label.
Location and Mounting
2. Remove the circuit breaker panel cover and determine the breaker-panel wiring entry point relative to
3. For surface-mount circuit breaker panels, the EMPShield device may be connected using rigid conduit to any conduit port.
4. For non-surface mount installations, secure the EMPShield to the support stud in the wall by cutting a 6 x 6-inch mounting hole.
The EMPShield (TB – Version) comes with a terminal block 12 AWG COPPER WIRE ONLY. For wire range Solid or Stranded 12 AWG, tighten to Torque 25 in-lbs.
TheEMPShield (W – version) comes with preconnected 12 AWG COPPER WIRE. Tighten to Torque 25 in-lbs.
1. WARNING: TO AVOID FIRE, SHOCK OR DEATH, TURN OFF POWER AT CIRCUIT BREAKER OR FUSE AND TEST THAT POWER IS OFF BEFORE WIRING!
2. Connect wire leads to terminal block: BLACK, RED, BLUE to PHASES, WHITE to NEUTRAL and GREEN to GROUND. See Figures 1 through 4 on
3. Thread the EMPShield device’s wire leads through the conduit to
4. Secure the EMPShield cover with the screws removed previously.
5. Select circuit breakers as close as possible to each service entrance lug. Twenty-Amp (20A) circuit breakers are
NOTE: Do not connect EMPShield leads directly to service entrance lugs. This may result in fire, shock or death.
6. Lead lengths should be as short as possible. Connect the BLACK, RED, BLUE leads to each PHASE through the selected circuit breakers. Connect the WHITE lead to NEUTRAL as close as possible to NEUTRAL entrance service lug.
NOTE: Avoid long loops and do not coil extra lead wire.
7. Replace the circuit breaker panel cover. Installation is complete.
EMPShield Wiring Schematic
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY AND EXCLUSIONS
EMPShield warrants to the original consumer purchaser and not for the benefit of anyone else that this product at the time of its sale by EMPShield is free of defects in materials and workmanship under normal and proper use during the lifetime of the product. EMPShieldʼs
1905 Hwy #75 / P.O.Box #453 Burlington, Kansas 66839